Offshore oil and gas
Location: Northern Territory, Australia
Sector: Oil and gas resources
Investment type: Mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures; acquisition of offshore licences and permits; direct or passive equity investment; financial or management partnerships; establishment of new or branch operations
Project status: Conceptual, proposed and investor-ready
Strategically located near globally significant offshore oil and gas resources known to contain more than 30 trillion cubic feet of gas, the Northern Territory is ideally placed for those seeking to invest in and develop world class oil and gas projects in this region.
Sustained growth of the Northern Territory’s offshore oil and gas industry has established Darwin as Northern Australia’s oil and gas operations and maintenance hub. Darwin has extensive infrastructure, networks and the expertise required to support offshore resource projects, and to service Australian and international energy demands.
ConocoPhillips produces condensate, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the Bayu-Undan field for sale into Japan and Eni contributes natural gas to the domestic market from the Blacktip field. The Montara and Laminaria fields produce high quality condensates for international sale.
Projects under development include INPEX’s soon-to-be commissioned Ichthys LNG, LPG and condensate facility, Shell’s Prelude Floating LNG (FLNG) and Jemena’s $800 million Northern Gas Pipeline connecting the Northern Territory to Australia’s eastern gas markets. Options to extend the life of the Darwin LNG facility are currently being explored.
Continued interest in developing the Northern Territory’s offshore oil and gas resources is driving expansion of the industry and inviting further investment opportunities in:
- additional new exploration projects following the release of offshore acreage by the Australian Government covering highly prospective areas in the Bonaparte and Browse Basins
- new greenfield project developments that can leverage existing and new onshore infrastructure developments
- provision of services to brownfield projects and expansions including future development of known offshore fields
- downstream industries that use offshore gas to produce methanol, petroleum products, urea and other specialty products, and
- an expanding supply and service sector that caters for all aspects of the oil and gas sector from exploration and development through to production.
Dr Howard Smith
Principal Industry Development Officer
Department of Trade, Business and Innovation
Phone: +61 8 8999 6408
Download a printable version - Offshore oil and gas (pdf 235 kb)
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.